Voices in Action in America (VIAA) is an organization working with women as they are released from immigration detention. We provide a roadmap to navigate American communities so that they have the tools to contribute. The organization’s model is of two-fold holistic support: pro bono legal help and civic engagement, for example job training, English classes, and school enrollment. Our goal is to be a bridge for these women to become part of a stronger American society.
- No matter a person’s origin or background, every person is entitled to dignity and respect.
- Every person’s narrative has value.
- Hearing other’s narratives help us understand the world around us and make us willing to establish bonds across personal and ideological divides.
- Our democracy is made stronger through the bonds we establish with its other members.
- Government policies must be informed by the narratives of those affected by them.